Friday 24 July 2015

For he still smiles, he's still strong - Pearl Jam

24/07/2015

Today I was told some really bad medical news. I was told by my OT that both of my shoulders, not just my left one, have significant issues. He basically said that both of my shoulders are worn from all my life in a manual wheelchair.

Now, I have a choice: I can bawl my eyes out and whinge about it for the rest of my life and watch more than my fair share of day-time TV. Or, I can continue with my OT appointments and try and manage the pain and this new information as best I can, taking one day at a time and doing what I can to try and live as best I can.

I choose option two. I tried option one for the best part of a year to try and manage my left shoulder and it just made things worse. One thing I forgot was that keeping a joint so still for so long does more damage than good. I need to keep them moving and so even if I "can't be bothered", I'm going to do what I can to keep going. I refuse to fall into self-pity. Sure, it does suck and I acknowledge that. I am not pretending it doesn't. But I am refusing to let it control me or get to me. One thing God said to me not so long ago is that you cannot die physically from a shoulder injury. Therefore what I do now is put two fingers on my left side of my neck and take my pulse as I wake. If I can feel it, I get up and move.

I am back into serving at my youth ministry and I will continue to do that, even with this new news. The truth is there are people worse off than me and they find a will and a way to keep going. Therefore I don't think I really have a good excuse.

Tomorrow as you wake, feel your pulse. If you can feel it, get up without excuse.

Giving up is not an option,

Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment